Sunday 18 September 2011

I’m moving to Germany!


The Decision:
After finishing school in December, I moved home; broke and without a job. I spent two and a half months looking and not finding anything. I eventually returned to work for the city as a lifeguard and instructor in March. While I would love to work in the Aquatics environment, coordinating and supervising programs, getting there is a process. Full-time hours aren’t offered during the year and with low seniority, I was not guaranteed a position throughout the summer. Fortunately, I was able to return to my previous summer job as an Aquatic Supervisor with a military facility, although this contract would end the end of August. When my Boyfriend Matt was offered a teaching position in Germany (to begin in October) and asked me to go with him, I couldn’t think of a better time to go!

This decision however, was not made without prior research. I spent a lot of time goggling search words such as: ‘working abroad’ and ‘Germany work visa’. The first few sites looked like Government sites and were not all the user friendly or encouraging. I finally came across SWAP. It provided me with statistics and all of the information I needed to make my decision and easily obtain a visa. I am a little bit worried about the lack of German I know (I took an elementary course this summer) and my ability to find a job in this country, however, I am told there are jobs out there. I will soon find out!

SWAP Shout Out:
For anyone who has ever considered working abroad, definitely take a look at this site.
Pick your destination and on one page, it tells you all of the information you need to know. Who can apply, when to apply, how to apply, and the funds necessary to do so successfully based on your country of choice. Easily find links to their blog and facebook pages where people who are participating in the program currently lend their advice, answer your questions and offer their friendship. While the last part sounds a bit cheesy, it’s true; you will meet people who plan on attending the same orientation sessions as you and those are great people to share resources with.

I intend on writing more about my positive experience with SWAP and give you an eye into how it works as the process continues. And of course, my adventures to and throughout Germany!

No comments:

Post a Comment